Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Shadow of the WindThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Bravo!  It is difficult to imagine a book lover who could not connect in some way with this complex novel.  Themes abound:  father/son, 1st. love, devil vs. innocent, social study/political study, historical mystery, romance...all set in post-war Barcelona circa 1945.  Long and engaging, Lucia Graves' translation shares all of the artistry of Zafon's Spanish best-seller.

The best scene, for me, was Daniel's 16th. birthday party at which his widowed father, a bookseller, gave him a special gift after a worrisome night.

My favorite character was Fermin Romero de Torres, "...bibliographic advisor for Sempere and Son."

So absorbing that my life was on hold while I read it, I even borrowed the audio book from the Nutley Library to keep the story going while I was driving, quilting, and cooking! Jonathan Davis' flawless accents and pronunciations of Spanish proper nouns on the audio reading gave the story even more flavor. I was reluctant to hear the story end. A great book for vacation reading, I recommend it to lovers of great novels.
5/7/2011

The "Cemetery of Forgotten Books" chapter which precedes chapter 1 reeled me in.  The premise so unique and beautifully written that I put the book aside to clear other projects from my list before giving it my full attention.  It is snowing today.  I have not been able to put it down. -Mom JoAnn 3/23/2011



View all my reviews

No comments: