Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

That Summer in Sicily: A Love StoryThat Summer in Sicily: A Love Story by Marlena De Blasi

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Wow, what evocative language....  I listened to the MP3 download. The reader's voice and Italian language skills are gorgeous.  This is a complex love story.  It gives the listener a tone, lifestyle, value system, political system and somewhat historical glimpse of life in Sicily in the mid-twentieth century.  I finished the tale wishing I could be a part of the society so beautifully described by the author, who, as it turns out, was also the reader of this audio book.  She reads in a bit of a monotone that makes it difficult to differentiate between the two story-tellers.  However, her reading adds so much to the listening value that the monotone is almost insignificant. F

I am not a habitual love story reader.  This one was well worth my attention.  Maybe I will make it a habit to read at least one love story in January/February every year to celebrate Valentine's Day.



View all my reviews

No comments: