Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Review: Go Set a Watchman

Go Set a Watchman Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Just finished “wading through” this didactic-heavy (preachy) novel. Message: How offensive does one flaw in a good person have to be to reject that person entirely? It is a matter of individual conscience, your inner “watchman”.

I can see why this novel was rejected by the publisher with instructions to Harper Lee to re-write. I share the suspicion that Lee did not intend to publish this one. (And, perhaps Truman Capote had a larger role in shaping To Kill a Mockingbird than we all realized.)

The kind of prejudice that keeps whole groups of people from achieving their potential is no ordinary flaw in my view.

BTW Uncle Jack is the most interesting character here.

View all my reviews

No comments: