Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

"True Compass: A Memoir" by Edward M. Kennedy

True Compass: A MemoirTrue Compass: A Memoir by Edward M. Kennedy

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Chappaquiddick Island tragedy ended my interest in Edward M. Kennedy until after his deah. Now older and curious about his Congressional career, I picked up "True Compass: A Memoir."  In it, the Senator draws a candid picture of himself. His explanation of the Chappaquiddick accident is straightforward and believable.  He takes responsibility for his behavior that night and describes his shame and grief.

I enjoyed the book in a "fly-on-the-wall" way.  Senator Kennedy's work in Congress - described for readers with the benefit of his reasoning and core values, his descriptions of campaign trips and conversations with family members and leading politicians, and his unflinching telling of the happy as well as painful and disappointing events of his life and time - does atone for his behavior at Chappaquiddick in my view.



View all my reviews

No comments: